One frustrating thing about fashion over 40 is that some of the steps you need to take to look better – like losing weight – take time to achieve.
Long-term goals are great, but there’s lots to love about style tweaks that can make you look and feel better instantly. When you add in some easy beauty fixes, the process of looking better instantly is magnified. Sometimes, something as simple as taking a few extra seconds to get every last lash can make a difference in how you look.
Here are my tips to look better today:
- Add a soft element to the top half of your look. Try wearing a shirt with a loose bow at the neckline, sensual fabrics (like satin or cashmere) or curled hair to soften your face. I’ve even found that feminine prints — like a bold floral — adds softness to mature looks.
- Play up a favorite feature (eyes, legs, waist) that you have always liked about yourself. Don’t worry that the feature doesn’t look as good as it used to. Enjoy who you are today. Want to show a little cleavage? Go for it. Same goes for a slim waist, which you can accent with a belt.
- Slow down, and put mascara on all your eyelashes. Pay close attention to the top outer corners. Sounds nitpicky, but your lashes open up your eyes and add softness to your face. I’m also a big believer in eye liner, although at this age I soften it with a similar-colored powder on top.
- Iron your casual clothes. While you may pay attention to work or special occasion looks, sometimes casual jeans and tees may be worn straight from the dryer. Try ironing a few casual pieces to see how crisp and neat this additional step makes these pieces look. Or cheat and take even your jeans to the dry cleaner to get perfectly pressed casual looks.
- Wear something whimsical. Maybe it’s a pair of funky rainboots or a pair of zebra-print loafers; maybe it’s just your feel-good color. The point is to wear something that makes you smile. My go-to pieces often involve studs, like spike-encrusted shoes. My favorite bag is a somewhat vintage Betsey Johnson bag (back when she made higher-end bags) that has drawer handles and studs on it. Definitely a conversation piece….
- Wear support garments – like Spanx or control camisoles – that you usually reserve for special occasions under your everyday clothes to look sleeker. You may be surprised how great a simple knit top looks on you if you wear a camisole shaper to smooth it out. I’m religious about the cami shaper because it changes how everything looks.
- Apply powdered makeup (eyeshadow, blush or bronzer) like the pros do. First, dust off any extra (you can “touch” the brush to a cotton pad or tissue first.) Then, instead of sweeping or brushing it on, softly touch the end of the brush where you want to apply it – if you are putting it in the crease of your eyelids, touch the ends of the brush along the crease to apply. This method avoids streaking your makeup across your face.
- Think body-conscious, not clingy. One of the biggest mistakes women over 40 make is that they rely on too many boxy, baggy and unflattering cuts. Instead, take body-conscious looks like leggings or slim pants and pair with a looser top. Never make the mistake of baggy on baggy. It just makes you look sloppy.
Purchasing a piece of jewelry is an excellent way to show someone that you care, regardless of the occasion. Even a modest gift of jewelry will always be remembered and loved. This article will give you information you need to know when purchasing jewelry, whether if is for yourself or someone else.
Clean all of your jewelry with a polishing cloth. This method ensures your jewelry stays shiny without having to use any chemical cleansers or solvents. It’s easy, just use the dual-sided cloth to wipe down your jewelry, just as you would polish a beautiful glass. Polish jewelry with one side of the cloth, then flip it over and shine jewelry with the other side.
Know the type of gem you’re buying, when you buy it. There are different types of gems, including imitation, natural and lab produced. You have to know that imitation refers to colored plastic. The only difference between natural and imitation gemstones is where they are made. Natural occur naturally, while synthetic stones are grown in labs.
Watch to see whether they usually wear necklaces or bracelets, or if they prefer dangly earrings to studs. This is a great place to start when picking out that special item.
Be sure to at least inquire about the insurance that is available when you buy jewelry from a reputable jeweler. Insurance policies allow you to bring a defective or broken piece into the jewelry store for repair. Some jewelers have insurance policies that cover lost of stolen jewelry, also.
As you have read, jewelry can be the perfect gift for many different occasions. Getting even a small piece of jewelry can feel great. Of course, there are things you also need to know to maintain the jewelry you have yourself. Consider the tips mentioned here and use them to enhance your enjoyment of special pieces of jewelry for years to come.
If you’ve shopped online previously, then you may know the process and subject a bit. The following article will give you some great tips to help enhance your online shopping experience. This will help you learn about shopping online.
Comparison shopping and bargain-hunting are integral parts of online shopping. By looking at various sites to see their prices, it’s simple to get a good price on almost everything. As you comparison shop, be certain to review prices just from retails with which you are already comfortable. Even if is the lowest price on the Internet, it doesn’t matter if you can’t feel comfortable handing over your personal information.
Never ever provide your social security details when you are online shopping. You never need to give that information to purchase an item online. If a site asks for a social security number, then it’s a scam. Leave the page immediately and find a reputable website to make your purchase.
Pay attention closely to see if any online sales are starting on Wednesday or later. Many physical stores have weekend sales, so to compete, several online retailers move the sales up a few days. Great bargains in the middle of the week are yours to reap.
If you’re looking for great coupons, try signing up with your favorite store’s newsletter. Many stores offer valuable discounts for new members. And they’ll continue to provide great deals to those that have shown big interest in the brand, so the signup can lead to some phenomenal savings.
You can improve your searches for online retailers by only searching through sites whose only searches are for online retailers. This doesn’t mean Google is not a good choice; however, you may get more results than you can actually use. Websites, such as ShopStyle.com, help you focus your search within results so that you only see online listings that sell what you seek.
Numerous online shopping benefits are waiting for you. The popularity of online shopping is growing, so why aren’t you making it a bigger part of your life? Keep this article safe so you can refer to it as you need.
Are you a fashionista? Perhaps you are just the opposite? No matter which one you are, you can always learn about the ever-changing fashion world and what’s going to be big in the upcoming seasons. Continue learning by reading the rest of this article.
For a simple, quick way to boost your look, choose a great belt. You can get a belt in many designs or colors. Add bright belts to simple jeans for a trendy look or wear a black one to look sophisticated.
Before you spend money on extras, make sure you have the essentials covered. Try to find pieces that work together in unison for a nice effect. Start with the classic look of a black pencil skirt and give it the look of today with a trend top or jacket.
Get your hair up and off your shoulders with a casual up-do. There is rarely time while at work or school to deal with long hair. It’s so simple to just throw your hair up into a bun, because today’s looks are all messy anyway.
Sheer clothing can be sexy, but too much sheer in too many places can create the wrong look. An item that is overly sheer can look cheap instead of sexy.
Keep up with the latest styles. Styles change often, so stay up to date by looking at fashion magazine regularly. They will usually point out new trends first.
Make your style unique. You can follow what you learn, or you can create your own style. This may not work for everyone, but if you feel like you can handle it, people will admire you for doing your own thing.